Girl Scouts Western PA Recognizes Duquesne Light’s Community Impact
This Friday, Girl Scouts Western PA will present the Corporation of Distinction Award to Duquesne Light Company (DLC) for our ongoing commitment to community outreach, charitable giving and employee volunteerism, including our longstanding partnership with the organization.
Since 2012, we have proudly donated nearly $80,000 to support Girl Scouts Western PA’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) and leadership programs.
“Our 2020 honorees show what is possible when we come together as a society to support female leaders at every age,” said Patricia Burkhart, CEO of Girl Scouts Western PA, in a “thank you” letter.
Commitment to the Community
Even during the pandemic, DLC is committed to finding ways to safely give back to our communities and support our neighbors in need. Employee volunteers have participated in a number of opportunities in recent months, including:
- Partnering with Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh, the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and Faith Restorations to deliver food to people in need.
- Teaming up with United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania to pack school supplies for local teachers.
- Supporting the Jerome Bettis Bus Stops Here Foundation’s “Pack the Bus” technology drive to collect repurposed laptops and tablets for local students.
- Helping the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy prepare several of its community gardens for winter.
- Collaborating with Friends of the Riverfront and Allegheny CleanWays to clean up the shoreline and trails along the Ohio River in the North Side.
The company is also preparing to launch its “Campaign for the Community” employee giving initiative, where employees will have an opportunity to donate to local nonprofits of their choice and receive a dollar-for-dollar company match.