As the high temperatures continue this summer, DLC is here to provide you with some informational tips as to why you may see an increase in your energy usage and ways you can save on your monthly electric bill.
Energy costs vary, but luckily there are steps you can take to minimize the impact on your wallet! Here are four common reasons electric bills rise:
- Changes in weather – Weather is the number one cause of high bills. Sudden changes in temperature can put a real strain on your heating or cooling system, and thus impact your energy bill.
- Electronics and appliances – Many electronic devices continue to draw power even when they are not in use. So, consider either plugging these devices into a power strip with an on/off button, or unplugging items when not in use.
- Household – House guests, and even kids home from college can use a lot more electricity – more showers, laundry, cooking and dishes, all of which use hot water. In addition, the size, age and type of house you live in can impact the amount of energy you consume.
- Air leaks – Cracked caulking around windows or worn weather stripping in exterior doors can create gaps that let conditioned air out, making your heating or cooling system work harder.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO SAVE:
Find helpful energy-saving tools and resources on our website to help you save on your energy bills, such as these tips below:
- View your electric usage, compare past and current bills and analyze how energy is being used in your home.
- Install LED lights. They use less energy than conventional bulbs and last longer. View DLC’s Energy-Efficient Product Marketplace to compare and purchase energy-saving light bulbs, appliances and more.
- Have your HVAC system cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional.
- Repair or replace any malfunctioning appliances or equipment. Consider recycling your refrigerator or freezer for a $35 rebate.
- Take advantage of DLC's free conservation kit. After completing a short survey, an energy efficiency kit will ship to your home within 6-8 weeks. One kit per active residential Duquesne Light account.
- Consider a home energy audit. A qualified auditor will inspect your home and recommend measures you can take to lower your energy cost.
Our Watt Choices program helps you save energy and save money. Learn more about how you can reduce your electric use and still beat the summer heat!