Duquesne Light Partnering with Pittsburgh Earth Day to Celebrate Halfway to Earth Day
October 19, 2020
This year marked the 50th anniversary of Earth Day across the globe, but 2020 has been anything but typical. Since the pandemic prevented people and organizations from gathering as they normally do on April 22, this year has been an opportunity to extend Earth Day commemorations and continue celebrating our planet.
Thursday, Oct. 22 marks Halfway to Earth Day. To honor the occasion, Duquesne Light Company (DLC) is teaming up with Pittsburgh Earth Day — a local nonprofit dedicated to educating, inspiring and celebrating sustainability in the region — to sponsor several events and important conversations. Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Grab a free, reusable grocery bag at Pittsburgh Earth Day’s pop-up in Market Square during Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership’s farmers’ market from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Meet several eco-fashion designers and artists during the virtual Ecolution Rewind, curated by Pittsburgh fashion icon Richard Parsakian.
- Learn about sustainable business best practices from Samantha Hartzman, associate manager of corporate citizenship and sustainability at DLC, and other business leaders during the virtual Sustainable Business Breakfast panel. The event will be moderated by Bill Flanagan, chief corporate relations officer at the Allegheny Conference on Community Development; and Grant Ervin, the City of Pittsburgh’s Chief Resilience Officer.
- Hear about the many benefits of all-electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles during the virtual It’s Electric! EV Driver Voices event.
- Tune in to the first episode of The Dirt Podcast, which will showcase diverse voices and discuss sustainability in business, fashion, retail, education, entertainment, development and more. The podcast is hosted by Grant Ervin and will feature Steve Malnight, DLC’s president and CEO, as the episode’s special guest.
At DLC, we’re delivering more than safe and reliable electricity; we’re helping to grow resilient, sustainable local communities. As part of this commitment, we’re proud to support Pittsburgh Earth Day as its title sponsor.
“Despite the challenges of this year, we’re doubling down on our sustainability initiatives,” said Samantha Hartzman, associate manager of corporate citizenship and sustainability at DLC. “In collaboration with our customers, communities, and government and nonprofit partners, we’re creating sustainable solutions at a time when they’re needed most.”
Learn more about Pittsburgh Earth Day and the Halfway to Earth Day activities.