Duquesne Light Company Highlights Energy Assistance Programs Available to Customers
Federal Government Employees Impacted by Shutdown Encouraged to Contact DLC for Payment Assistance
January 16, 2019
PITTSBURGH – Duquesne Light Company (DLC) is reminding all customers experiencing financial hardship, including federal government employees impacted by the partial federal government shutdown, that there are several assistance programs available to ensure they remain connected to a safe, reliable source of electricity.
“With winter weather hitting the region we like to remind all of our customers that help is available if they are having trouble paying their bill,” said Michael Selep, Universal Services Manager at Duquesne Light. “And, as the federal government shutdown continues into a fourth week, we know there may be even more customers in our service territory who could benefit from these long-standing energy assistance programs that DLC offers.”
Two programs -- payment arrangements and budget billing -- may be particularly helpful to federal employees impacted by the shutdown.
A payment arrangement allows the customer to pay the unpaid balance of the account in installments. It is based on the amount of the balance, income, household size, and the customer’s history with prior payment arrangements. Call 412-393-7200 for more information or to get the process started.
Because of weather and customer usage variations, electric bills can vary from month to month. The budget billing program helps level out the ups and downs, making payment more manageable. To enroll, call 412-393-7100.
Additional programs that may be relevant to federal employees or other customers experiencing financial hardship include:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a federally funded program, offers:
- A Cash grant provides assistance between $200 and $1,000 per heating season to help with past due and future utility bills.
- Crisis grant provides up to an additional $600 to help in a heating emergency.
- LIHEAP in available November 1, 2018 through April 12, 2019. Call the LIHEAP hotline at 1-866-857-7095 for more information. Or visit Compass.State.PA.US to apply online
- Dollar Energy Fund offers a grant of up to $500 to households that meet income eligibility and required payment history. Duquesne Light was a founding partner in this hardship fund. The Company matches customers’ contributions, up to $375,000 annually, to reduce arrearages and restore services. This program is available until funds are depleted. Call Duquesne Light at 1-888-393-7600 for more information. Visit dollarenergy.org to locate a screening agency near you.
Duquesne Light customer service representatives are trained to refer customers who are having problems paying their bill to available energy-assistance programs. As a whole, these programs provide Duquesne Light customers with a variety of options to assist them through the winter months. For more information on these energy assistance programs, customers should call 1-888-393-7600 or visit the Payment Assistance section of the Duquesne Light web site here.