5 Ways to Save Energy Without Spending Money
February 12, 2021
Looking for some ways to save energy without spending any money? Here are five easy, no-cost ways to lower your monthly energy bills.
- Turn off your lights. Light makes up about 10% of your electricity consumption. To save energy, turn off lights when you leave a room or when natural daylight is sufficient.
- Run full loads. Only run your dishwasher and clothes washer when they are full. Wash your clothes in cold water when you can to save on water heating costs.
- Unplug unused electronics. Standby power can account for up to 10% of your annual energy use. Unplug power-draining devices like video game consoles and TVs when they're not in use.
- Adjust the thermostat. Adjust temperatures at night or when you're not at home to give your HVAC system a break. It may seem trivial, but changing the temperature by just one degree can save money and energy.
- Take shorter showers. Shortening your shower time by just two minutes can save 1,500 gallons of water each year.
Use these no-cost tips to save money while keeping your home comfortable and energy efficient. For more ways to save on energy costs, visit Duquesne Light Company’s Watt Choices.